Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Problem of Wren Romany

As you have most likely noticed, I have been running into a stream of issues with writing Wren Romany's story. First, I had the romantic interest that didn't turn out to be a romantic interest (Arthus). Then it was the problem of first person versus third person. The final straw was my epiphany a little bit ago that my plotline stunk. So, after this last issue, I have come to the conclusion that I need to rethink the whole project.

This is a first for me. Usually, I begin a tale and have no major problems (aside from the odd character issues and plot conundrums) completing it as I had hazily planned it. The issue with this project is Zezilia Ilar.

About now, you are all going to say, "Huh? Who is Zezilia Ilar?"

I shall explain.

Zezilia Ilar is the working title of my other project at the moment. A ground-breaking work for me with multiple plot lines, three villainous forces, and a underlying theme that is dear to my heart, the project is bigger and more complicated than anything that I have written to date. I began developing and writing Zez before I began Wren. At the time, I thought that I could manage to turn out a formulaic Rachel Rossano romance/adventure while working on the epic. However, I have now discovered that upon attempting a masterpiece, I am no longer content with spinning out less well-developed work.

Now about now, you are all probably panicking. "She is going to dump the project! I will never be able to know the end of the story! Ack!"

Take a deep breath and give me a moment to reassure you. I will not abandon Wren, Tourth, and Arthus. In fact, I am planning on keeping the characters almost exactly as you have known them. Instead, I am going to pluck them out of the weak and pathetic storyline and place them in a new and, hopefully, more exciting storyline.

"But then I won't know the end of the story!" You might cry.

For you alone, I shall summarize the rest of the old plot: Wren convinces Tourth to trust her. Tourth, Wren, and the rest of their party travel back to Lord F.'s castle to save Lord F.'s son from death at the hand of Lord F's new wife. (She was the one who had Kale killed and framed Tourth so that her children would inherit the title.) Tourth and Wren get together and Arthus and Katraina get together. The end. (See, I told you it was boring.)

So, what is the new plot? I am still working out details, but I assure you, it is going to be more interesting than the one above. I am hoping to have the first chapter up in a week or two. Meanwhile, I shall leave Wren's partially told tale where it is. It shall be a reminder to me of where I have been and a promise to you that I shall replace it with better.

Now you may begin screaming, commenting, or having hysterics. Just whatever you do, please come back in a few weeks and give the new Wren tale a fair try. It isn't her fault that I handed her a lousy storyline.

~ Rachel Rossano

4 Comments:

Blogger Brittany Simmons said...

I think your old plot for Wren, although a little underdeveloped, is still really neat. I like it and it sounds interesting, NOT pathetic. (Hehe, it is nice to know that I'm not the only one who has to put down their work, even if I am a little more dramatic about it than you ;-)) However, I'm not going to wail and grovel at your feet pulling on your clothing and begging you to finish it. I understand how gruesomely painful it can be to complete a story that doesn't motivate you, and at the same time that I liked the old plot, I'm excited to see what you're going to do for this new plot. It's fun to brainstorm stories in the beginning stage with people. I just realized that I missed that beginning brainstorming stuff because all of our current stories have passed that point.

Anyway, I truly sympathize with you, Rachel, and I'll be looking forward with much anticipation to the new Wren. (I'm so glad you're keeping the wonderful characters at least!!)

I love you bunches!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Props to you for having the courage to start over...I don't know if I could even consider such a formidable task this far along. I certainly look forward to the New Adventures of the Old Wren.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Kirk said...

Hurrah! A new plotline. I love scrapping a tedious plotline and starting afresh.
You are right, the old plot was too predictable. I think the beginning was good, but it didn't work out so well in the details.
Looking forward to see the new chapters!

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Old Wren, R.I.P. :)

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home